Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Genius and Air Conditioning

We live very near the beach.  It is probably less than a half a mile away from our house.  Because of our proximity, it isn't unusual for houses (and even some businesses) to not have any air conditioning.  We usually have a nice cool breeze off the ocean in the summer.  We were still wearing sweaters into July.  However, in August and September, we sometimes have really hot days.  Every year I put off buying a portable air conditioner until we need it, at which point there are none left.

Here's where my genius comes in.  In June of this year I bought an AC and stashed it in the garage until the time would come when we needed it.  My sister visited in July and on the afternoon she arrived it was kind of hot.  She fussed about it until I mentioned that we actually had an AC in a box in the garage.  She and Momo brought it in the house and unpacked it, by which time the breeze had come back up and we didn't need it, so they quit their installation project.  So it's been sitting in the kitchen for several weeks.

This week we had a heat wave.  Never fear... we have an AC.  So I asked the Ninja to set it up.  He pointed out that we were having a flex alert and weren't supposed to turn on the AC.  I pointed out that you do NOT want to argue with a menopausal woman during a heat wave about air conditioning.  He set it up.  We ran it until it got really hot.  Then this surge protector thing went crazy and we had to shut it down to stop the beeping.  The hotter it got, the fewer things we could use.  I couldn't use my computer.  The toaster set off the alarm.  The microwave set off the alarm.  Apparently we can only use the AC on days when it's not too hot.  Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment