Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cheeky Beasts

On Friday as we were getting ready for Shabbat, a raccoon opened the screen door to the dining room and started to walk in.  This, despite the fact that Momo was standing by the table.  I heard Momo yell, "You cheeky beast!"  So the raccoon, sensing that he was not welcome, took his leave.  (I suspect that Momo's arch nemesis the squirrel, told him that Momo is an easy mark.)

We changed the lock on the garage door so we can lock it at night.  Lately when I go in there to do the laundry, things have been a bit more of a mess than usual.  The one thing that I have not been able to figure out is why Momo or the Ninja Who Lives Here keep getting the cooler chests out and opening them and leaving them in the middle of the floor.

Is nature reasserting itself and thinks it can find a foothold in our house?  Is the animal population simply following the lead of the feral men who come and go at will?  Is the fall of civilization getting a toe hold in my seemingly domestic house?

It reminds me of the song that I thought the Boomtown Rats sang, but apparently not since I can't find it on the web.  The lyrics were something about, "they're living off nuts and berries/they're making a fool of us".

Alas, even if I falsely remember that song as theirs, you should click on the link above to hear their most famous song.  Notice what the pianist is wearing.  Yes, Johnny Fingers was my teenage hero.  He went to school one day in his jammies (this is looooooooooong before fat women thought it was okay to go grocery shopping in PJ's).  He was told to go home and change and when he declined they told him that he couldn't go to school if he was going to wear his jammies.  It may be apocryphal, but it is said that he only wore jammies from that day on.  Although I suppose he wears trousers now to prevent people from confusing him with a fat woman doing grocery shopping.  Cheeky little beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment