Sunday, September 23, 2012

War of the Squirrels

The other day I walked out of the house to see my son waving his fist at a palm tree.  The Ninja was sitting on the porch and by way of explanation said, "The squirrel is winning."

I have replaced the porch chairs that were shredded for squirrel nesting materials.  I think the new ones are safe until the next batch of babies.

The immediate problem (at least for me) is that the fig tree, which is separated from my head as I slumber by a single pane glass, has ripe figs on it.  The squirrels seem to have set up a sports league that centers on the figs.  Usually around two in the morning, the squirrels grab a fig or two (I can't actually see them... I'm guessing on all of this based on what it sounds like) and scamper up on the roof.  Hockey seems to be the sport of choice.  There is a lot of scrambling and crashing, but I hope it's playful, not in a death sport kind of way.

Luckily I have ear plugs that I bought because Zachary likes to come over in the middle of the night too, and is that boy loud.  The Ninja has tried to teach him how to walk and speak quietly, but Zach's kind of like a squirrel in that he just naturally is loud.  Yes.  I just said that squirrels are naturally loud.


I thought it might be nice to have a visual for this story so I googled "squirrel wars" and was amazed at how many images there were.  Go ahead... try it.  I don't know who Daniel is, but I shamelessly stole this image that was prepared for him by someone who went out of their way to spell like a cat.  (Yes, squirrels are noisy and cats are bad spellers.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, homonyms. The bane of English speakers everywhere who try to write. Right? (rdrr)

    Our squirrels take the bird feed. We have squirrel vs. bird wars in our backyard.

    ReplyDelete