Friday, December 7, 2012

Faith versus Works

In Christianity there is a saying: Faith without works is dead.  We Jews have a very different understanding of the whole faith and works thing.  Judaism is a religion of deeds not faith.  This is very confusing to non-Jews for some reason.  Let me try to explain it and if you still don't get it, please ask questions in the comment section.

A few years ago, when I had first moved to Long Beach, I was quite ill.  I was so ill that if I got too tired I would vomit and feel like I was going to pass out.  One day, in the Christmas season, I was in Target.  Unfortunately they build stores that are difficult to leave easily if you aren't right by the front entrance.  I got really sick and couldn't make it out in time.  I was sitting on the floor, vomiting into a plastic bag, and wondering how I was going to get home.  Christmas music was playing, reminding people that this is the season of giving.  Nobody stopped to help me.  One woman said, "Are you all right," to which I replied, "No," before she walked on.  Thanks.  I'm making an assumption that most of the Christmas shoppers in Target that day were Christian.  I am sure that many of them have a lot of faith.  That really didn't do me any good.  I think that the "reason for the season" may have given them explicit instructions on what to do when someone, even someone you don't know, needs help.

Later people pointed out that, since I was vomiting, it was obvious that I was ill and they probably didn't want to catch anything.  Like leprosy or something.

See, Judaism doesn't let us off that easy.  We are expected to do the right thing if we feel all warm and tingly or not.  I know Jews who don't believe in G-d at all.  That doesn't make them bad Jews.  It would be nice if they were in touch with their mystical side, but the bottom line is that that is kind of like frosting on the cake.  We're okay if we just have a nice solid brown bread instead.

The ninja who lives here was raised in a strictly Orthodox family.  Ergo, he doesn't consider himself a "religious Jew" with his current lifestyle.  If you ask him for help... if anyone asks him for help, he does his best to help them.  Omanis who need a fridge moved... the ninja is there.  The hitchhiker going the other way gets to his destination via the ninja.  People on the street who need money... the ninja usually has some.  I don't know what he believes, I can only see the things that he does.  That's what counts with Jews.

No comments:

Post a Comment