Monday, December 31, 2012

Talking to Yourself

This morning Momo pointed out something interesting.  If you just walk down the street talking to yourself, everyone thinks you're crazy.  However, if you walk down the street talking to your dog, everyone thinks that's normal.

It's true.  I try not to talk to myself when other people are around.  Mostly because people will think I'm crazier than usual.  But if you think of it, saying something out loud kind of anchors it in your mind.  It somehow gives it a form that it didn't have when it was just bouncing around in your head.  Maybe it's a good idea.  And if you're wearing earbuds, people just assume that you are on the phone.  So go ahead, put in your earbuds and talk all you want.

1 comment:

  1. All the parent "experts" say that you should talk to your infant all the time about all the mundane things you're doing. Since I already talk out loud to myself a lot, this came naturally to me once I had kids.

    One day, at the store with then 4 year-old Akiko, I said, "Let's see. What else do I need?"

    Akiko looked around, then asked, "Are you talking to me?"

    "No. I was just thinking out loud."

    "Well don't. It's weird."

    I still insist on talking out loud to myself. Otherwise, I forget things. Important things.

    ReplyDelete