Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Enough With the Yelling

When did it become okay to yell at strangers?  In my Kill the Rich post I mentioned an angry man yelling at the volunteer collecting donations for the homeless.  Last night I went to Ralph's and a young woman was standing outside with a petition to keep marijuana dispensaries in Long Beach.  I gladly stopped to sign.  While I was filling out the form, two different men walked by and yelled at the woman.  One yelled, "Aren't you too young to smoke dope?"  To which the puzzled girl answered, "I'm 23."

The second guy just shouted his opposing position without bothering to even slow down as he walked past.

If I see someone doing something that I disagree with, I will sometimes stop to civilly voice my opinion, but I cannot recall ever yelling at a complete stranger.  Why do people think that's an okay way of weighing in, or for that matter, changing minds?

No comments:

Post a Comment