Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Misadventures

There's an idea that "never a dull moment" is a good thing in life.  I would contend that more dull moments would be okay.

I think that many times I've written about the strange things that happen in my life.  This weekend a stranger asked us for help.  Very temporary help.  At first to find a non-existent address and then for shelter for a little while as he waited for someone to pick him up.  After he had been here for several hours, it came time for a meal.  He told us that he was a vegan.  Not just a vegan (as if that isn't a pain in the neck to cook for already), but a vegan who could eat only base fruits and vegetables and no bread products.  So I managed a meal that we could all eat.

After much drama he was still here in the morning.  Another pain in the neck meal.  As lunch time approached, I had exhausted our in house vegan offerings, so I went to the store to get more veggies, hummus, etc.  After lunch I told my son that I wasn't doing one more vegan meal, so this guy had to leave and go be someone else's dinner time problem.  Supposedly the visitor had lots of friends and a manager in LA.

"We were strangers once."  This is a core teaching of Judaism.  So I didn't want to be rude but I explained again that my father is dying and that we needed our visitor to go on his way.  After several more hours of stalling, my son finally packed him up in the car and took him to meet a friend in Inglewood.  Fine.  We'll laugh about it later.  Just another weird story.

But it wasn't over.  At 11:30 that night, he came back.  Really??  We kick you out and deliver you to one of your friends in another city and you end up coming back to wake us up?  He was probably hungry.  His friends probably didn't want to deal with him because they already knew he was high maintenance.

The ninja who lives here was telling a friend about this and the friend said, "Wow. This is a once in a lifetime story."  The ninja shook his head and said, "At our house, it's more like a once in a week story."  Oh, but for those precious dull moments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment