Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Survival and how not to do it



This is the movie that I happened on during my channel flopping last night.  I love movies like this.  I can't remember what I was doing in 2004 that I didn't go to see it.  Anyway, I caught this one about half way through.  An ice age eh?  Hadn't really thought that one through.  And this from a girl whose mother made sure that she knew how to build a house out of sod and prepare the dirt floor so that can be kept as clean as tile.  She was only a generation away from people who needed to know stuff like that, so who's to say that we won't need to again?

I really didn't mind missing the first half with all the character and plot development details.  It was actually probably better for me just to get straight to the surviving part.  Let the fun begin!  The hero and his nerdy group of friends, takes refuge in the New York Public Library.  It's on high ground and near by and letting people in, so I think this is probably a fairly decent choice.  The streets begin to flood as our hero's party approaches, so there is a mad dash to get inside.  (Remarkably, everyone seems to be in dry clothes once inside, but if I can let this slide for James Bond, I can let it slide for this guy.)  People are milling about in this massive library hall.  At this point I start yelling to Zach, who happened to wander in while I was watching, "Organize!!  What are those fools doing?!"  Zach, who has already seen this film points out that they will organize in awhile.  Not good enough.  Get these cold (and realistically wet) people higher (because we know the street is flooding and that heat rises), and into small rooms.  I'm guessing that the NY library has offices somewhere on the upper floors.  Stay away from offices with windows, put as many as can comfortably fit in a room so they can share body heat.  Try to fill rooms that share walls.  Little kids get priority as far as dry clothes are concerned.  Infants go inside the dry clothes with an adult.  Nobody takes off their hats.

Back to the movie.  The hero hears from his father who is a scientist and who tells him that a freakishly cold storm is coming and if they go outside they will die.  So a policeman helpfully tells everyone that since the flooded water is now frozen enough to walk on that they should leave and try to evacuate on foot.  Hello?  I think it's very unlikely that you would be able to talk many people into evacuating on foot under those conditions.  However, perhaps because he's an authority figure, and perhaps because he's the only person with a plan, the people decide that this is a good idea.  Remember that they have not taken my advice and are still milling about aimlessly in a cavernous freezing cold room.  The hero jumps up and begs them not to go outside. He convinces a couple of people in addition to his group of friends.  At least one of the people who stays is a librarian and she now reveals that the library has a room with a fireplace.  Unfortunately this is another cavernous room and in addition has walls of windows.  I'm okay with this.  We know what we're working with, because dad has told us that a storm is coming that will freeze everything to death instantly.  We aren't in the best room to deal with this, however we have abundant materials to work with and most of the other people are gone so we don't have to worry about saving them too.  So our heroic cast starts burning books and spreads out to make themselves comfortable.  What ?!!!! No no no no no!

I can see that I'm going to have to continue organizing for them.  Yes, rip up some books for kindling and while you are making sure that you can get the fireplace flue to draw up the smoke and starting your fire, have some of those young testosterone filled geeks that you brought with you bust up some furniture.  They get to fulfill an important function that they will think is pretty fun and wood burns better than books.  Send two people to empty the vending machines and bring back the food.  While they are there, tell them to look around for a coffee pot, or something that they can use to melt water by the fire.  Probably vases or urns would do the trick.  While these two are out of the room scavenging, get the burly lads, or whatever kind of muscle you have, to start bringing in some of those big wooden tables.  Use tables, rip up carpet, whatever you have to do to block off those huge windows.  (Remember, you have a fire for light.)  Now comes the fun part.  Remember the forts you used to build out of couch cushions when you were a kid?  We're going to build a fort around the fireplace.  We can use any of the furniture we want.  We need to make sure we have a roof so all of our heat doesn't escape to the high ceiling.  I would suggest ripped up carpet for that.  Use stacks of books on the outside for insulation.  Ration food, sleep close together in shifts and make sure that someone is always feeding the fire.

Do not leave this room to go looking for antibiotics!  The girl with blood poisoning can most likely make it through the storm if you keep her wound lower than the rest of her body and use a hot compress to draw out the poison.  If that doesn't work, you will only lose one person from the party instead of the three that they send out in the movie.  In the movie the boys find the antibiotics, fight some wolves and make it back inside before the deep freeze hits.  I wouldn't have risked any of the heat from the boys going out and coming back in cold.  I would say this even if I was the one with blood poisoning.

If I was the protagonist in an ice age, my dream team of nerds would include: my son Hamad, Benjamin the ninja who lives here, Walker Stern and my niece Kate.  Anyone of us could've come up with a better plan than the group in the movie.

Let me know who would make up your dream team.
  

7 comments:

  1. In my post-apocalyptic ice age I'd bring:
    Bear Grylls - The man most likely able to light snow on fire and kill wild predators with his bare hands.
    My college buddy Adam Fox - A source of endless energy, optimism, and comic relief
    My wife - How could I imagine a world with out her? and re-population...
    My friend from high school Brian Butler - Can build just about anything and extremely smart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dream team and why I would choose them:
    My friend Chad, he'd be willing and able to make the tough decisions to let people die for the good of the group. Then again, he might try to resort to cannibalism sooner than was strictly necessary...
    My brothe Mike, he always stays calm and confident even in terrible situations or when he is completely at a loss. Not to mention he is 6'4", and we might not have a ladder.
    My wife Kelly, she is just the right mix of crafty and creative to help me come up with out of the box solutions when raw intellect fails. Also, when it comes time to 'conserve body heat,' I'd much rather cuddle up with her than with Chad.
    The last place is a toss up, there are any number of other people that would be nice to have around, but that would be the core of my team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the movie where cold air from the upper atmosphere descends quickly and freezes everything? I ask because both the increase in pressure at lower altitudes and the friction from the rapid descent would heat that air up well above a balmy summer day. Too bad you didn't include me on your teams for my ability to logic away any impending apocalypse scenarios!

    Ok, enough of that. Let's take the scenario as given. An ice age approaches rapidly enough by some scientifically sound method. We are caught with little warning.

    I'm setting the following rules for myself since they weren't specifically outlined: I get 4 people (since that's the number people have picked). I only get people I know well enough to have a reasonable chance of recruiting. I can only pick people near enough that we'd have a reasonable chance of meeting up in a roads are frozen/communication is dead scenario. I'll assume we're protecting and providing for anyone we care about who's not listed. These people are the action squad:

    Dina. Team leader. Will make the tough decisions.
    Garey. (My school's Adventure, Safety, and Anything Else That Ain't Getting Done Coordinator.) Provides survival skills and medical training.
    Dalton. (Teaches Science and Health in the classroom next to mine.) More medical training, ridiculously well stocked tool kit.

    Cursor's been blinking at me for a while now. I guess I only need three. I'm accepting applicants for the fourth position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno why I'm marked as unknown. I told it to call me Pete.

      Delete
  4. Really Pete? You only need three? You could always throw in someone for comic relief, or to send out on errands if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like Pete's rules about picking people close enough to your current location that you might actually run into them. And my dream team totally depends on what kind of impending doom we're talking about (for example, when the Zombie Apocalypse hits, I'm high-tailing it to Idaho to find Amy Burks. The rest of y'all suckers are on your own.)

    But, for your average, everyday, run-of-the-mill impending doom, I'll take the following:

    Joey Smith. The man learned offensive driving techniques in a limousine. You never know when you're going to need a get away driver.

    Paul Wecker. A) He's a permanent boy scout. Knots are important. B) What if the only way to save the universe is to win at Trivial Pursuit?

    Brett Ihler. This is going to sound a little weird, but the dude has literally fought demons with a sword. In real life. I'm not making this up. THAT is a handy doomsday skill.

    Jed Montgomery. Walking atlas. "The Holland tunnel is blocked with vehicles? Here are seventeen other possible routes off this densely populated island." This dude is MapQuest on steroids and when teh interwebs go down, we're going to need him.

    Rounding out the list would be the first army medic we can get our hands on.

    I'm sure you noticed that Becca is absent from the list. Don't start feeling bad. I'd totally bring her. She's just not useful like the rest of the dream team. And by "not useful" I mean "absolutely necessary", but since I'm already just hoping the dream team will let me tag along and keep me alive because I'm cute, I don't want to press my luck. Where's the sense in "if she can't go, I'm not going"? If my dream team has any sense, as soon as those words came out of my mouth, they'd leave my stupid ass to freeze to death. (And what a blissful, sex-filled last few moments of life those would be.)

    Go dream team! Save the world! Before the zombies get me. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate's comments about Becca are important. In addition, a hormone filled 21 year old pointed out to me that Mike, Nate, and Pete are all planning on surviving with one wife and a bunch of other men. Hmmm. Didn't think that one out all the way, did we boys?

    I guess I need to explain my team.

    Benjamin the ninja who lives here. Ben was a Navy medic. He keeps stuff in his room like bullet proof vests, MRE's, a variety of things to use for zombie killing, and most recently he has sent away for a surgical stapler.

    Walker Stern. He understands all that science and physics kind of stuff. He also has been Hamad's free running partner. If there is no longer a staircase, it really isn't a problem for these guys. They can run, jump or otherwise scale any obstacle put in their path. He's very strong and coordinated and very brilliant. He's also usually well armed and can tie knots.

    Hamad. In addition to continuing my line, he can do all the free running stuff mentioned above. Since early childhood he has been able to talk his peers into just about anything. He is very knowledgeable about nature stuff (like he knows how to hunt things and what we can and can't eat) and very intuitive and attuned to his environment. (Not that we'd have to hunt stuff in New York... think of all the readily available frozen food.)

    Kate. She really underestimates herself. Kate is very quick at thinking on her feet and has a natural gift for figuring out work arounds (both on the computer and in real time). She is also very capable of making tough decisions. Sorry Becca.

    ReplyDelete