Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wizards

A couple of evenings ago, my son and I walked down to the pier.  As we were walking we came across a somber looking young man.  After getting a good look at him,  my son greeted him in Arabic.  The guy looked totally stunned.  It was his first day in America and someone greets him in Arabic.  We chatted with him for a few minutes and found out that he was from Oman.  So, of course I had to ask him the obvious question, "Are you a wizard?"

Now he looked really surprised and asked me why I would ask him something like that.  I told him that I had heard that every seventh Omani is a wizard.  He laughed and shook his head, like he couldn't believe that anyone would fall for that.  So, for a moment, I thought that this new generation of Omanis must not believe in that kind of stuff.  I thought that until he added, "Wizards are everywhere."  Take that Harry Potter.

I should have asked him how he got to Long Beach.  After all, the Omani specialty is astral projection.  For all I know, after we parted ways, he may have projected back to Oman right then to tell them that we're on to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment