Sunday, July 15, 2012

Arts and Crafts

My sister is here for a week to boss dad around.  My bossing wasn't doing any good, so we called in the big guns.  My sister is a big fan of arts and craft shows.  She does a lot of crafts herself, so she likes to go to get ideas.

On Friday, my friend Dawn and I took my sister to San Pedro to check out the newest thing in craft shows.  It's a big warehouse (number 10) that is filled with booths for arts and crafts.  What does that mean?  Arts and crafts?  Frankly, some of the stuff looked like good projects for little kids.  One woman was selling little cans with holes punched in them as votive candle holders.  Not even interesting cans, you know, whatever she had left over from dinner.  One woman had spent 30 years collecting interesting little pieces.  After her husband retired he built her a craft room and she began gluing this 30 year collection to pieces of acrylic and giving the piece a name was selling them for a couple of hundred dollars each.  In looking around, I felt like she had taken some really interesting stuff and decreased it's value by gluing it with some other stuff.  What do I know?  There was a lot of jewelry.  There were some fun felt hats that were very fancy.  So some of the stuff was interesting, and some of it made you think: what were they thinking?

I did buy a couple of cup cakes for the guys at home and Dawn bought some flavored salt.  I have to admit that the highlight for me was the food trucks outside where we had lunch.

Well, I'm off for the day to go to the art and craft fair down by the marina.  If you expect someone to do your bossing for you, you have to pay your dues.

No comments:

Post a Comment