Monday, July 9, 2012

Global Village

We like to think of how connected we are now with the internet.  The world... at our fingertips.  But I wonder how globally linked we'd feel if we were illiterate, or didn't have a computer.  I suppose life for many people on the planet has more to do with the way their families always lived than with my life, for example.  Imagine that instead of being here, in Long Beach, that I am a pirate in Somalia, or a fisherman in Vietnam.  Or what if I was a little kid working a carpet loom in Pakistan?  I wonder what my impression of living in a global community would be.

Personally, I don't feel all that globally connected.  I could be more proactive and seek out other cultures on the internet, but I don't.  And I don't think most other people spend the time to try to figure out people from different cultures or backgrounds.  It may be easier than at any other time in history to connect with people who are far away, but it doesn't seem like very many people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment