Sunday, January 20, 2013

Don't Tell Me I Look Good

I've been going through a rough stretch lately.  As a result of that my fibromyalgia is in full flare.  I don't really eat when I'm in full flare.  Ergo I lose weight.  That means that I'm thinnest when I am at the end of a long period of illness.  That's when the compliments come flowing like a river.  Let's think about this for a moment.  I am getting positive reinforcement for feeling like dreck.  Really?  Do you also find the dark circles attractive?  Or the fact that I start getting really pale if I have to sit in one place too long and the pain can get a good strong grip on me?  How about the passing out if I stand in line for too long?  Cute as a button?  Occasionally I get so worn out that I throw up in public.  People standing around usually don't act like that's very adorable.

Here's a tip: if I am plump and smiling and running around town and busy minding everyone else's business, that is when you should tell me how good I look.  People who tell me I look great when I'm really ill just annoy the hell out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment