Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Infinite Cups of Tea

When my mother was still alive she would occasionally complain that instead of completing her own projects that she had wasted all of her time having tea with me.  I would agree that we both would've accomplished more if we had sat around talking less.

Now, however, I am constantly amazed by how many people ask me how I've acquired so much knowledge.  Usually I'm so stunned that they think I know a lot of things that I'm semi speechless.  I mostly stammer things at them that prove I am really an idiot.  But it has happened frequently enough now that I have to take it a little seriously.  I think there are two primary reasons that I know a lot of stuff.  I'm old.  As you age, you accumulate knowledge.  I think the other reason is that I sat around drinking infinite cups of tea with my mother.  She was a very smart cookie.  She paid attention and traveled widely and had wonderful adventures.

There may be people in my readership who think I'm playing fast and loose with the word "infinite".  After all, my mother is gone now and technically we could've counted how many cups we drank together.  But... even now when I'm sitting with an aromatic cuppa, I think of her and what she would've said about things that are happening around us.  In a way, the conversation continues through the generations.

So if you are lucky enough to have a mother who wants to sit down and have a nice cup with you, don't worry about not getting other things done.  It will pay off in the long run.


No comments:

Post a Comment