Thursday, January 24, 2013

Just How White Am I?

I went out to do errands this morning and remembered that I hadn't eaten yet today.  (Yes, I know that a lot of other people are better at remembering to eat than I am.  This is one of the blessings of not living alone.  The boys always seem to think eating is a good idea.)  I stopped at a McDonalds (no, I'm not in Argentina or Israel so, no, it wasn't kosher).  As I was waiting for my food a black man (maybe he was an African American... I didn't ask) ordered his food.  By mistake, the young Latina handed him my meal.  Realizing the mistake he handed it back.  Realizing her mistake, the young lady added a few conciliatory fries and handed it to me. The man, who was well over six feet tall, bristled and said to me, "She gave you more fries than she gave me."

I diffused the situation by shrugging and saying, "Well, that's because I'm cuter."  He started to laugh and agreed that I was the cutest.  See... there are perks to being an old woman.

If he thinks that I was given more fries because I am white, I invite him to come and make me laugh the next time a cinder block goes through one of the windows of my synagogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment