Monday, January 14, 2013

The Gentling of Memories

My son and his friends are really good at helping Papa with his limitations and memories.  If Papa wants to go swimming, I tend to remind him that he hasn't been out of bed since June.  The boys don't mention that, they just tell him that it's too cold to go today.

The other night he was in and out of our reality.  At one point he called Momo in to tell him that he thought the platoon had left them behind.  (Papa was in the Army in Europe during WWII.)  Momo told him that the guys hadn't left, that they were on the porch playing cards.  The guys were on the porch playing cards, and Papa could hear them laughing and playing.  What started out as a nightmare, was met with reassurance.

This morning Papi called me in and asked me if we could be happy here.  I told him that I thought we could. You could see him visibly relax.  It worries me what happens in the minds of people as they age who don't have people close to them to reassure them that everything is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment