Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Getting Old

When I turned 29, my Aunt Denese sent me a card saying that I should stop there.  She was 29 for most of my life.  When she had grandchildren she moved it up to 39.  A lot of people don't like the idea of getting old.  I can remember, as a kid, seeing my mother and aunties comparing the skin on the backs of their hands in dismay.  Mom even scheduled a face lift once, but when they showed her the video of how they do it, she sneaked out of the office while nobody was looking.

I kind of like the idea of getting old.  I have a few gray hairs and I've decided that they are just fine being gray.  I like the grandma role.  I know that I don't have any grandchildren yet, but my nieces and nephews have obligingly had babies that I can practice on.  I'm perfectly happy to adopt the grandmothering attitude that my mother embodied....  you have two hands?  Then you must need two cookies.

It's unrealistic to think that I will be able to find a life partner.  I am past my prime as far as things like that go.  But I happen to be entering into prime years for spoiling little kids.  I don't a have a need to feel glamorous anymore.  I'm happy giving hugs and wiping tears and lending an understanding ear.   It's like I've come to an understanding of who I am, and I'm okay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment