Sunday, June 24, 2012

Getting Organized

I've been slowly but surely getting my life more organized.  It isn't as simple as getting one person's stuff organized, because my mother left me her organizational mess too.  She saved a lot of stuff, not just for her and dad but for each of her six kids.  We were going to organize it together someday, but we had a cup of tea instead.  Actually, I'm happy that we made that choice.  I have to admit that in all of her clutter and all of my clutter, I'm not sure what we were thinking when we decided to save it.

The most interesting thing to me about organizing my life is what mattered before and what matters now.  I have gotten rid of tons of files of failed business ideas.  In their place I have a neat file drawer with a folder for each Torah portion.  Now it is easy for me to pull a dvar (a sermon? an explanation? I don't know what it would be called in English... it's a piece written about a particular section of the Torah) to review when I'm studying the weekly portion.  I'll admit that my business ability never really worked out for me, but the Torah study thing really is my cup of tea.  But you can't eat Torah.  There's a saying: "No bread, no Torah."  Fortunately I'm at a place in my life where I can enjoy studying and wait until late at night to worry about my future.

It's also very interesting that, since we moved back to California because I was very ill, people here don't know me for my ability to cook for 40 people, or organize 20 little kids, or do mountains of laundry, or be on another board.  Those things that defined me in Utah are totally non issues here.  The thing for which I'm most recognized here is being knowledgeable about Torah.  So maybe it's a good thing that I got sick and had a chance to quit doing everything for everybody else.

No comments:

Post a Comment