Friday, June 29, 2012

Hunger

When I went to do the grocery shopping this morning, I handed a dollar to the man who collects for some homeless shelter.  He's often there and I'm happy that we are blessed with enough that we can share a bit.

This morning he asked me a question that surprised me.  He asked me if I knew anyone who was hungry.  He had a flyer with a map for the park where they are going to be serving meals.  When he asked me, my first thought was, "what kind of person does he think I am, that I would know someone hungry and not feed them," but when I thought about it more, I wondered if I do know someone who isn't getting enough to eat.  I wonder how many people are going without who don't want to admit it.  I hope that I don't know anyone who isn't getting enough to eat.  And if I do come across someone who is hungry, I hope that I can figure it out in a way that they wouldn't lose face.

No comments:

Post a Comment